Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) 2.0.1 is used to scan for and detect security vulnerabilities in Microsoft software installed on Windows computers. This article describes how to obtain and deploy the most recent Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.0.1 package for use with ManageSoft Security Manager 7.7 and later releases.
The instructions below will guide you through downloading and deploying the packages needed to successfully run MBSA 2.0.1. You only need to perform these steps if the MBSA package you currently have deployed in your software library is earlier than version 2.0.6706.0.
MBSA 2.0.1 can be used with ManageSoft Security Manager if:
- ManageSoft Security Manager 7.7 or later is installed on your administration server and
- ManageSoft for managed devices 7.2 or later is installed on your managed devices.
The latest security bulletin data files published by Microsoft also require that Windows Update Agent (WUA) 3.0 is installed on managed devices in order for MBSA to successfully complete its scans. See the Related articles section below for a link to an article about obtaining and deploying a package for the WUA 3.0.
- From the Download locations list below, identify the appropriate MBSA package to use for your organization based on the release of ManageSoft Security Manager installed on your administration server and the language you want to be used for reporting of MBSA analysis messages.
- Download the zip archive for your chosen MBSA package, uncompress the archive, and receive the package into an appropriate location in your software library.
- Ensure that a package for Windows Update Agent 3.0 is also received in to your software library and the prerequisite on Windows Update Agent in the MBSA package is set appropriately for the location of that package. Knowledge Base article 100851 (see the Related articles section below) describes this process in more detail.
- Distribute the MBSA and Windows Update Agent packages to all appropriate distribution locations.
- Remove any previous MBSA 2.x package versions from existing policies, and add the newly received MBSA package to relevant policies.
- Using the ManageSoft Configuration Tool, check (and change if necessary) that the Security Management URL to Windows Update Agent setting is configured to be "http ://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=74689" (without the quotes). Alternatively, this setting may be checked and configured in the registry entry HKLM\SOFTWARE\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft\SecurityPatch\CurrentVersion\WsusscanUpdateURL.
- Refresh bulletins in the Security Manager node of the ManageSoft administration console to ensure the latest wsusscan.cab file from Microsoft has been downloaded and deployed.
Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer 2.0.1 packages
The version number of these MBSA packages is 2,0,6706,0. The packages were last updated on January 11, 2007.
Choose a package based on the version of ManageSoft Security Manager installed on your administration server, and the language you would like to be used in security analysis reports for analysis messages from MBSA.
ManageSoft Security Manager 7.7.x
ManageSoft Security Manager 7.8.1