If you are having trouble installing Microsoft Office patches on a managed device, follow the suggestions here to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.
Troubleshooting Microsoft Office patch installs
Office patch installation through ManageSoft Security Manager requires that:
- The base image of Office has been deployed according to the instructions in ManageSoft knowledge base article 100600 - Patching Microsoft Office, and the managed device has access to the baseline image source
- The latest version of the Microsoft Office Update Inventory Tool has been installed on to the managed device as described in ManageSoft knowledge base article 100719 - Obtaining version 2.2 of the Microsoft Office Update Inventory Tool
- The latest security bulletin errata for Microsoft Office have been downloaded through the Security Manager node and the Security Patch Settings for Microsoft Office package has been deployed
- The partial Office binary patch packages are installed through policy.
If errors occur when attempting to deploy Office patches, even when all the above requirements are true, complete the following steps:
- From a command prompt, cd to
Program Files\Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer\OfficeUpd.
- Run the following commands:
- inventory.exe /"C:\Program Files\ManageSoft\SecurityPatch\cifs" /o C:\
- convert.exe /d C:\ /o C:\OfficePatchInventory.xml "C:\Program Files\ManageSoft\SecurityPatch\Patchdata.xml"
If either of these commands fail, investigate and fix the reasons for the failure.
If these commands run successfully, verify that the latest version of the Office patch has been packaged and put into appropriate policies, and that installation of the patch is attempted.
If installation of the Office patch commences but fails to complete successfully, review the Windows Installer (MSI) log that is generated. It is found in <windows>\temp\OHotfix directory, and will help you to determine the cause of the failure.
ManageSoft support help
If you would like ManageSoft support to help with your investigation, please provide the following information and files:
- What version of Office, including service pack, are you trying to patch?
- What Office patch and version are you trying to deploy?
- Zip the following files and send them to ManageSoft support for review:
- A copy of all files from <Program Files>\ManageSoft\SecurityPatch\cifs
- A copy of C:\Program Files\ManageSoft\SecurityPatch\Patchdata.xml
- From c:\, a copy of:
- From <windows>\temp\ManageSoft on the managed device exhibiting the installation failure, a copy of the installation.log and installation.old.log files
- From <windows>\temp\OHotfix, a copy of all the OHotfix Windows Installer logs.